With all businesses there is bound to come a time when you are going to need the services of a lawyer or be legal savvy for a whole host of situations.
Managed correctly, this attorney-client relationship can and will prove to be invaluable. Listed here are five key things that you will ensure the relationship between the attorney and client for your start-up is successful and a win-win situation for all right from the very beginning.
Always respect the expertise of the legal expert:
- Once you have chosen the legal representative of choice, trust their decisions as they have your best interests at heart.
- Experts that are continuously second-guessed by their clients will soon lose the motivation to deliver their finest work.
Know exactly what it is that you want from your legal representative:
- Think carefully about what it is that you need and why you would like this kind of legal representation.
- Being eloquent means that you will get exactly what it is that you want.
Don’t be remiss and don’t hold anything back:
- It is important to be up-front and to disclose everything so that your attorney is in the picture at all times.
- It is important that your lawyer makes the decisions regarding disclosing information – let him or her decide what should and what should not be left out.
Long-term relationships are worth their weight in gold:
- Most lawyers agree that their clients they have a long-term relationship with that they will be able to give more perceptive advice than to those that they have only just got to know.
Always pay your attorney on time
- If you feel that the fees your attorney is charging are out of your league, why not negotiate these with him or her – that is the best way forward.
- Ensure you understand all the terms and conditions.
The real deal is that we often need the services of an attorney and find that when we need to litigate for numerous reasons, we are at a loss as we don’t have that long-term relationship with an attorney who will have our back.
Building relationships for your start-up is imperative – this can be a client-attorney relationship, client-accountant relationships plus all the relationships you need to build up with suppliers and consumers to ensure yours is a successful start-up right from the beginning.